Cabbage has a ton of health benefits, from essential fibre right through to vitamins and minerals. That said, however, it doesn’t have exactly the best rap as a tasty and exciting vegetable. After you try our take on a delectable Ethiopian inspired cabbage stew, however, you’ll never fear to include this veggie again…
4 to 5 medium carrots
1 ½ onions
2 to 3 medium sweet potatoes
½ medium cabbage head
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder (or to taste)
1 tbsp cooking oil
Salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
- Dice the carrots and sweet potato, and place in a pan with just enough water to barely cover. Be sure to cover the pan.
- Add 1 tsp of cumin, salt and pepper, and allow to simmer for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a separate pan, add the diced onions to the oil and cook until soft and slightly glassy.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cabbage and the onion to the sweet potato and carrot mixture – again using only an inch or so of water.
- Add the remainder of the spices, and simmer for another 10 minutes or until everything is soft and delicious to your taste.
Voila! The humble cabbage never tasted so good!