“Beauty-school dropout, ooohooohooo…” – you don’t need to stress about perming hair or just waxing legs anymore. Okay, now that we have a Grease reference – and that song stuck in your head – we can firmly re-assure you that beauty school is definitely not what it used to be.
For beauty geeks (like us) the world is now bigger (with more opportunities) and more beautiful
Beauty professions have changed and grown rapidly over the last few years, and what previously required a scalpel and surgery, can now be done in just minutes – which means that results are quicker, more natural-looking, and less painful for on-the-go-women.
What’s even better is that it also means that there’s more opportunity and space to grow for women who would like to pursue a career in beauty.
Here are three beauty professions that didn’t exist five years ago (and can only be offered by a beauty therapist today #justsaying):
- This procedure requires using a handheld device, which swiftly creates microscopic holes in the skin.
- The small canals stimulate your skin’s natural capability to heal itself and in the process, produce collagen and elastin.
- Microneedling increases the absorption of products you apply to your face and boost the effectiveness of your skincare regimen, making way for a fresh and firm complexion.
The brow is very much ‘now’ and we don’t see it going anywhere soon.
Microblading has made Cara Delevigne-esque brows a possibility for everyone – even your grandma if she feels that way inclined.
- It’s a self-styled tattoo that creates the appearance of fuller brows by depositing pigment under the skin.
- It takes away the need to fill the brows out daily by adding hair strokes that just look like hair.
- Many beauty therapists today specialise in microblading alone and it requires a good eye and understanding of symmetry.
- It’s a great option for women who have limited space, a bit of an artistic flare and want to start a side hustle.
Chemical skin peeling
Chemical peels, from way back in the day, have a very strong White Walker resemblance or at least for us… Luckily the brainy pharmacologists of today have found a way to get the same effects, but with fewer zombie similarities.
- Chemical facial peels are popular because they offer nearly immediate results and can be performed as an outpatient procedure by a trained therapist.
- This treatment is known to remove old skin so that new layers can grow in their place and is especially popular to treat acne.
- It’s also effective in treating facial blemishes, wrinkles, and uneven skin pigmentation.
- This controlled removal ranges in strength, from superficial peels that use mild acids to deep peels that penetrate several layers of skin.
The Beauty Therapy Institute has 10 campuses across South Africa and Africa where women can study beauty courses on their own time and budget – no more beauty-school drop outs. Visit their website to view their courses as well as this month’s promotion: //beautytherapyinstitute.co.za/
For more information contact Sunita Theron: [email protected]