The Nelson Mandela Bay Municipality on Thursday, launched phase two of the multi-million rand War on Waste project

The launch took place at an open field next to Sanctor Primary School in Bethelsdorp in the city’s northern areas.

The R7 million second phase of the clean-up programme is being overseen by Executive Mayor Athol Trollip following the removal of Mongameli Bobani as the head of the Municipality’s Public Health Directorate.

While the project was launched earlier this year, the municipality conceded that it had not been without challenges – ranging from under-spending, the employment of litter pickers, and general project management challenges.

Speaking at the launch, Trollip admitted that phase one of the campaign had not been as successful as it should have been.

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

“We have learnt our lessons. Through phase one it has become clear to us that cleaning the City is more urgent than ever before. It is also clear to us that unity in action with our people is critical,” said Trollip.

Phase two focus

Three refuse compactor trucks, purchased at R4 million each, were also unveiled at the launch. Phase two will particularly focus on clamping down on illegal dumping being the priority.

The three new compactor trucks are expected to cut down on delays due to mechanical problems.

“We are not going to play games with illegal dumpers. We have our Metro Police and town rangers ready to go around the City and the notorious dumping areas. We are also working on increasing the current fine of R2 000 for dumping as some of the illegal dumpers, more especially construction companies, do not mind paying this amount,” said Trollip.

Author: ANA Newswire