Last updated on Jan 15th, 2021 at 03:48 pm
Wonder why you find yourself coughing and rubbing your eyes while polishing wooden furniture? The chemicals in furniture polish could be to blame!
Common ingredients in furniture polish are known to cause skin, eye and respiratory tract irritations. Aerosol furniture polish allows for microscopic particles containing carcinogenic chemicals, to easily be inhaled and absorbed into the bloodstream.
So just what are you breathing in while polishing that coffee table? While they arenâ??t always listed, many brands of furniture polish contain the following toxic ingredients…
petroleum distillatesâ?? highly flammable chemicals that have been linked to skin and lung cancer
nitrobenzene – easily absorbed through the skin, nitrobenzene is a carcinogen, reproductive toxin and central nervous system toxin
phenol â?? a carcinogen and severe skin irritant
neurotoxins like propane, butane gas, aliphatic naptha, white mineral oil and turpentine
morpholine – a severe irritant which may cause kidney damage
In short, furniture polish pollutes the air with toxic chemicals which could harm you and your familyâ??s health. There are eco-friendly furniture polishes on the market so visit your local health or green store to find out more. Alternatively, click here to find out how to make your own eco-friendly furniture polish.
Sources: Ecomist Solutions, EPA.gov, Mamaâ??s Health and Sustainable Baby Steps.