Think twice about using that bug spray. Pyrethroids – chemical compounds in common pesticides – have been found to accumulate in the home

Although they have been found to be more-or-less safe for mammals in laboratory studies, pyrethroids are known to cause skin irritation, headache, dizziness and nausea.

Now, a new study, published in Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, found that pyrethroids can persist in a home for over one year.

This especially worrying for young children and pets, as they spend more time on the floor…

According to the study, when used outdoors, microorganisms, rain and sunlight break down the pesticide’s chemical compounds fairly quickly.

WIN a R 2,000 Woolworths Voucher

Subscribe to our Free Daily All4Women Newsletter to enter

However, indoors the chemicals in pyrethroid pesticides adhere to cloth, tiled floors and wood differently to how they would to outdoor surfaces.

Researchers found that 70% of cypermethrin, a pyrethroid pesticide found in up to 90% of homes, in dust samples around a test house after a year.

Pesticide exposure requires more research

The extended persistence of this chemical increases the likelihood that residents will be exposed to the pesticide.

This especially worrying for young children and household pets, as they spend more time on the floor and frequently pick up things and put them in their mouths.

The study highlights the need to evaluate the actual risks of human exposure to pyrethroids when present in dust and on surfaces.

So, before you reach for bug spray, consider natural ways to banish pests from your home.

Source: Society of Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry via www.sciencedaily.com

While All4Women endeavours to ensure health articles are based on scientific research, health articles should not be considered as a replacement for professional medical advice. Should you have concerns related to this content, it is advised that you discuss them with your personal healthcare provider.