Set aside time for intimacy and add a little spice to spruce up your sex life!
Lost that spark in the bedroom? Don’t despair. Here are eight ways to boost a flagging libido…
- Reduce stress. Finding ways to cope with financial stress and daily hassles can free your mind to focus on your relationship.
- Strengthen your pelvic muscles. Kegel exercises can improve your awareness of the muscles involved in pleasurable sexual sensations. Tighten your pelvic muscles as if you’re stopping the stream of urine. Hold for five seconds, relax and repeat. Do these exercises daily for best results.
- Eat for better hormones. High sugar diets can affect sex hormone levels. Eating foods rich in essential fatty acids (like mackerel) can help, as will avoiding caffeine and salt.
- Communicate. Talking about sex (including your likes and dislikes) is important as it can set the stage for greater sexual intimacy. You’ll start seeing each other as sexual partners, rather than co-parents or roommates.
- Seek counselling. A sex therapist or counsellor skilled in addressing this sensitive topic can help open the channels of communication between you and your partner, particularly if discussing mismatched desire has become a battleground.
- Set aside time for intimacy. Scheduling sex might seem contrived and boring, but making it a priority can help get your drive back on track.
- Add a little spice. Trying a different position, a different time of day or even a different location can help rekindle that spark.
- Talk to your GP. Hormonal changes or underlying medical conditions can also result in a low sex drive. Chat to your GP to rule out any health issues before taking sex off the agenda.