Now that Summer is on its way, itâ??s the time to shop up a storm and spice up your wardrobe with the latest fashion trends for the season. Here is a sneak preview of what Summer 2008 is about:
Floals, florals and more florals
A bevy of fresh new blooms blossom on the streets and in the stores! This is one of THE hottest trends for the season. It comes in both bold and colourful or small and romantic and in softer shades.
• The trend is predominantly seen in brooches, scarves, maxi dresses, wrap dresses, chiffon blouses, skirts & footwear.
• Silk & chiffon fabrics offset these prints beautifully.
• Donâ??t mix a large floral print with any other print.
• Small floral prints can be mixed with other prints for an international look.
A HOT TIP! A guideline when choosing a pattern: it should never be bigger than the size of your fist.
Showing off your shoulders with assymetrical cuts
Each season the eye is drawn to showing off a different part of the silhouette. This season itâ??s the shoulders, waist & legâ??s turn! Itâ??s a more daring cut, worn beautifully on slim shoulder silhouettes.
• Satin evening dresses, cotton tops and day dresses are the best way of utilizing this look.
• Teamed with a pair of skinny jeans, tailored evening trousers or a full skirt for a flirty, trendy look.
• Best not to cover up with a jacket or cardigan.
• Perfect for the cocktail party season
Guideline: cotton for day & satin for night.
• Classic safari style tailoring.
• Work chic shapes in neutral tones
• Practical pockets create easy summer wear.
• Perfect for travel, casual looks & comfort.
70â??s Boho Chic
• Denim forms the foundation for this key trend.
• Other pieces include the waistcoat, maxi dresses, floppy hats, beads, fringed handbags, platforms & wedges
• Prints such as paisley & tie dyed add magic to this trend.
• Sequins, patchwork, leather & lace are textures to watch out for.
Citrus brights â?? bold bright colours
Acid, citrus brights feature strongly this season from pink to yellow & orange, to tangerine, grapefruit & mandarin. Yellow is a hot colour for 2008; it goes through the spectrum to molten gold.
• Purple reigns as much this spring as it did last season, including lilac & violet.
• Citrus green chartreuse meets lemon.
• Dresses, jackets, shirts, skirts, denim, shoes & bags give insight into this trend.
• Worn most effectively with simple styling, not to many accessories.
• Skinny jeans combined with a simple jacket make a statement.
Designers have embraced femininity this Summer. Opt for the frilly & feminine.
• Chiffons, lace & velvet create the romantic look.
• Dusty pink, beiges & creams form the colour palette.
• Edgars Kelso career wear have brought out exquisite pieces in the dusty pink colourway.
• Dresses, skirts & blouses are key.
• Other elements include: satin ribbon bows, hearts & flowers.
• An easy trend to embrace, can be worn day & night.
HOT TIP: Colleen Eitzen from The Space Stores has interpreted this trend beautifully with a layered dress available from these stores nationwide.
• Clean cut, crisp shapes, make this trend eye catching yet timeless.
• Basic colours such as black, navy, white, cream form the foundation of this look.
• Key items are fitted blazers, cropped jackets, crisp fresh shirts, tailored pants & shift dresses.
Notice: lots of belts worn over jackets. Teamed with patent shoes & bags add a glossy touch of elegance.
• Teamed with a tailored blazer for a chic work wear look or with a safari style belted jacket for sleek style.
• Wear them high waisted and fitted or long and tailored.
• Play with mixing fabrics from combining denim shorts with a leather jacket, to satin shorts with a silk blouse.
• All colours & textures make this a popular summer trend.
• Opt for the 70â??s vibe style with strappy wedges for a sexy silhouette.
• Height is very important in working this trend; legs are on show this Summer!
• Accessorize this trend with a cinching belt or a classic leather belt for the finishing touch.
50â??s flare skirts
• Add more skirt volume.
• Seen predominantly in day dresses or skirts & cocktail/evening dresses.
• Very flattering for the hour glass & pear shape silhouettes as it emphasizes the small waist & disguises the larger hips.
• Shirts & tops should be fitted, creating and complimenting a sleek sexy silhouette.
• Heels worn with this trend are an absolute must.
• Accessorize with small bags.