One of the most obvious signs of aging is the lack of firmness in the skin. As we age, our skin loses the elasticity that it had in our younger years, and this causes it to become loose and appear saggy. This is often most obvious on the face and neck.
Many people choose surgery in order to tighten loose neck skin, but this comes with risks, and is also too expensive for many people. Alternative ways to tighten and lift neck skin is to do exercises and try the non-surgical cosmetic treatments described below.
1. Exercise is important to tighten loose neck skin
The following exercises are a good mix of stretching and working out your neck and lower facial muscles. By repeating them once or twice a day, your neck will be stronger and more flexible. This will protect it from damage or injury and, furthermore, you'll have a firmer neck with less saggy skin!
- Place one hand on your forehead. Push your head against it without letting it go forwards. You should feel your neck muscles working. Hold this position for about 10 seconds. Then clasp your hands behind your head, and push backwards to create pressure, and again hold for about ten seconds.
- Sit down with your back straight. Lift your head back so that your chin is pointing toward the ceiling with your lips closed. Next make a chewing motion with your mouth. You'll feel your neck and facial muscles being worked. Repeat about 20 times.
- Again sit with a straight back, lift your head so that your chin points to the ceiling with your lips together. But this time, pout your lips in a sort of kissing motion, this will feel as effective as the previous exercise but will work different parts of your neck and face.
- Lie on the bed with your head hanging over the edge. Slowly and carefully lift your head up towards your torso, using your neck. Slowly and carefully lower it back down. Repeat this about five times, but make sure you stop immediately if you feel any pain.
- Be careful when exercising your neck, it's a sensitive and delicate part of the body, and can become damaged when strained. Don’t overdo the exercises, and if you feel any pain, then stop.
2. Avoid sudden weight gain or loss in order to tighten loose skin
Weight gain will cause your skin to stretch, and will cause a double chin, whilst rapid weight loss will leave you with looser skin. Lose weight gradually to avoid this.
3. Try creams to tighten loose neck skin
Many different types of skin tightening creams are available. Skin firming creams are often very rich in moisture in order to hydrate the skin, thus reducing wrinkles and preventing further damage. Some contain ingredients that stimulate blood flow to facial skin cells. Some work over a long period of time for long lasting results, whilst others work as a short-term quick fix. There are loads from which to choose so make sure that you look around.
Always, however, try to find creams that do not contain toxic ingredients harmful to your health.
4. Consider surgery to tighten loose neck skin
Although many would avoid it, surgery is an option. However, as with all cosmetic surgery, make sure that you are fully aware of the risks involved. Get the proper aftercare that you require, go through a trusted surgeon, and understand your procedure.
Many people choose this route due to the quick and effortless results, whereas others choose to tighten loose neck skin the natural way due to the risks and expense.
- If you are a smoker then quit! Smoking causes premature aging and dehydration and releases toxins that damage your skin.
- Wear UV protection. The sun’s rays can, over time, cause loose neck skin by speeding up the aging process.
Article provided by wikiHow, a wiki building the world's largest, highest quality how-to manual. Please edit this article and find author credits at the original wikiHow article on How to tighten loose neck skin. Content on wikiHow can be shared under a Creative Commons License.
Don't miss out! Subscribe to our free Fashion & Beauty Newsletter